Friday 3 January 2014

The launch of my first children's book about Dyspraxia - You're So Clumsy Charley

The launch of my children's book, You're So Clumsy Charley.




Press Release.. 

Jane Binnion, Colin Shelbourn and  Paul Johnson joined forces to produce a national first – a children’s book about Dyspraxia. The book, which also marks the first book from Funky Gerbil Press that Paul runs, hit the booksellers’ shelves just in time for the Christmas rush.

You can find out more about You’re so clumsy Charley, which explains what it is like to have dyspraxia from a child's perspective at www.funkygerbil.com. 
Inspired by her daughter, Jane Binnion put pen to paper to raise awareness of this widely misunderstood condition estimated to affect 1 in 10 people.
She says “I was inspired to write You’re so clumsy Charley as at the time of realising my daughter also had dyspraxia, I automatically went to the library to find children’s books that deal the  issue in an age appropriate way, so that she understood that she was not the only child in this situation. The library had nothing and I was then shocked to see that there was nothing on Amazon either, there was simply nothing on the market aimed at children.  So I decided to write something for children myself. Whilst my daughter was initially sceptical, she is now really proud of me. I have thoroughly enjoyed writing this book and have obviously been inspired by her feelings and experiences as well as my own.”
Charley and his family are brought to life by cartoonist Colin Shelbourn, who is renowned for his comic strips as well as being Britain’s first radio cartoonist. “It was an unusual idea” says Colin “that engaged me straight away. It was about a boy with dyspraxia, a little known condition which is often misunderstood, particularly by schools, carers and parents. The book is designed to tell a story, engage the reader and help those with the condition to feel good about themselves.”
Paul Johnson said: “It’s doubly exciting to launch Jane’s book, as it marks the first book Funky Gerbil Press has released. Our goal is to draw attention to conditions and issues that prevent young people from realising their full potential through the misunderstanding of others. In the case of You're so clumsy Charley, we chose not to name dyspraxia in the story because this book is for every child that is different.”

Jane says:  “If my book helps children to feel better about themselves and enables parents, teachers and carers to see things in a more positive light, then I will be a very happy lady!

You can view the book here 

No comments:

Post a Comment