Tuesday 21 January 2014

Dyspraxic in the kitchen

The joy of soup

Being Dyspraxic I am a bit of  a nightmare in the kitchen and inviting someone round for dinner is not a treat for them!

Because I don't enjoy cooking I get bored and walk away, which often results in burnt dinner - my poor girl learnt to cook as soon as she was able - I currently have 2 burnt pans sitting awaiting attention.

Presentation is the other thing that I lack and presentation is pretty important in cooking I think and  I do actually love good food.

It's really important to me to eat well to keep up my strength and convenience food is such a nightmare. It's so tempting to use but it's expensive and lacks nutrition.

Luckily some time ago I discovered that I love home made soup, so I got a wizzer  (and you can pick one up for a tenner) and have never looked back.


Soup can be easy, quick, highly nutritious and  because you liquidize it it doesn't matter how it looks! so I am mostly rewarded with approval. I still sometimes burn it but hey ho.

I wanted to share this Armenian soup recipe  from my ancient  Cranks cookbook because it is soooooo  easy, delicious and best of all, as we are all broke in January,  it costs about 50p for 4 people.

Here it is..
*2oz red lentils
*2oz washed dried apricots
*1 large potato
*2 pints of veg stock
*Juice of 1/2 a lemon
*1 tsp of ground cumin (I grind the seeds because  it smells amazing)
*Lots of chopped parsley about 3 tablespoons (I have parsley growing all year round)
*Salt and pepper to taste.

Here's the amazing bit... Chop the potato and throw everything in a pan. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 30 mins. If the potato breaks up easily it's ready. When it's cool wizz it with a blender, or mash it and eat it .

What really works for me is to make too much and freeze portions for those days when I really can't get my act together but need good food.

If you make this please let me know what you think.

Also I'd love it if you would share your easy but healthy meals and I will try them (but I am a veggie)  

Jane x

No comments:

Post a Comment